The foundation of the Association was laid on December 23, 2006 when the B.Tech (DT) students of NDRI brought together the Graduate Alumni of the Institute and proposed the idea of such a platform. Taking the momentum further the constitution of the Association was finalized and was registered with the Registrar of Societies, Karnal as " NDRI Graduates Association " in February 2007.
The NDRI Graduates Association (NGA), a Dairy professional's organization was formed with a motive to function as a common platform for meeting, discussion, and exchange of ideas concerning dairy sector. The basic objective of the association is to interact and discuss various issues, towards the betterment of present practices and introduction of new ideas in the Indian Dairy industry. NGA also provides opportunities for the exchange of knowledge and ideas gained from experience through meetings, conferences, and seminars.
The Association is closely associated with its alma-mater and the institute with the aim to bring together the graduates of the institute and provide a platform for interaction between the present and ex-students.
ICAR - National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal (India) the country's premier Dairy Research institution has developed considerable expertise over the last five decades in areas of Dairy Production, Processing, Management and Human Resource Development. The information generated at the Institute and the services offered have contributed to the growth of Dairy Industry as a whole and well-being of millions of milk producers and consumers of milk and milk products. With challenges in global Dairy Trade, the Institute continuously works to develop its R&D and HRD programmes to better serve the nation in terms of food security, employment generation, poverty alleviation and economic prosperity.
ICAR - National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal was originally started as Imperial Institute of Animal Husbandry and Dairying in 1923 at Bangalore. It was expanded and renamed as Imperial Dairy Institute in 1936 and was known as National Dairy Research Institute after independence in 1947. Subsequently, in 1955, NDRI Headquarter was shifted to Karnal. Facilities at Bangalore were retained to function as a Regional Station to serve the Southern States. In 1964, Eastern Regional Station of the Institute was established at Kalyani in West Bengal. In 1970, NDRI was brought under the wings of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research to provide greater operational autonomy to the Institute in research management functions.
In 1989, status of Deemed University was conferred to the Institute for further strengthening the academic programmes for human resource development. Being the National Institute, it conducts basic and applied research with the objective to enhance animal productivity and also to develop cost effective technologies for the benefit of the teeming millions. The Institute also undertakes extension programmes for transferring the know-how from the laboratory to the farmer's fields.